Managing The Art Classroom: Routines & Procedures



Check out my Clean Up Procedures YouTube Video Herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC0R_Jjq4yY





Arrival: This first transition sets the tone for the class ahead.  If arrival is chaotic it provides an opportunity to alter student’s behavior and mindset before even entering the art room.  It is vital in ensuring that all students are ready to learn and create.

I meet students outside the door of my classroom, this way I am able to set the tone from the second they enter my room.  I then give a brief preview that is meant to get the students excited about what they are about to learn that day. Students then quietly enter the room and sit on the rug, ready and excited for the lesson ahead!


Studio Work: It is also important to have set structures in place while students are working independently to ensure that they stay on task and are focused.  circulating the room and using nonverbal communication during this time can assist in managing behaviors.

One of my art rules is to “Stay on Task” which includes staying in your seat while you are working.  This prevents students from getting up and walking across the room to talk to other students.





Clean Up Procedures: Clean up time can easily turn into chaos in an art room.  clean up procedures and routines are essential in preventing this.
Having art jobs is one way to mainstream the clean up process. The jobs I have are:

Material Manager: Collect and return all materials
Art Associates: Pass out and collect all artwork.
Floor Friends: Pick up and sweep any materials from the floor.
Paint Patrol: Clean all paint palettes and brushes
Table Troop: Distribute rags to clean all of the tables.
Clean Up Captains: Monitor and assist classmates in completing their jobs. 


Before beginning, ensure that all students are listening to the directions you are about to give (I ring a bell, then say “Hands up top!” and students put their hands up and say “That means stop!”) Next review the art job each table has that week.  During clean up time, it is a good idea to walk around and monitor students. Once students have completed their job they return to their seats to begin dismissal.  

Dismissal Routine: This is the final transition of the class.  It provides students with an opportunity to reflect not only on what they have learned and created but also reflect on their behavior as well.  This self-reflection allows for growth and also provides accountability when sharing their reflections with their classroom teacher.

I call one table at a time to calmly line up.  I have a strip of tape on the floor to indicate to students where to form the line.  Once all students are standing in line I review the objective for art that day. I then also review their behavior in class that day and advise them on how many points they earned.  If a class has earned all 5 points we celebrate with a class cheer.  I have a stack of different cheers hanging by my door, I use a different cheer every week and students are always excited to find out what it is!




Comments